Beauty cream may not go well on your sensitive skin, as they may irritate and cause over dryness. Natural remedies like sesame oil for acne can be your effective weapon in the arsenal to fight blemishes.
Along with their hectic college schedule, teenagers have to combat blackheads or acne lesions. It is one of the common skin ailments affecting about 80 percent of people between the age group of 11 to 30.
Scientists and cosmetic industries are consistently working hard to bring a solution for these bumps.
But, home remedies stand undisputed at the top of all treatments because they’ve no side effects compared to cosmetic creams.
Most of us know that beauty products are manufactured with chemical ingredients to increase their shelf life, which can trigger allergic reaction on the skin.
What Causes Acne?
According to researchers excess sebum, dead cells and bacteria are three culprits responsible for pimples. Report further states that inflammation is the main reason for this hormonal imbalance. Whatever the reason, they ruin your appearance leaving behind scars.
Anti-inflammatory activity in sesame oil does a great job in controlling acne inflammation. Its antibacterial effect can successfully fight with P.acnes bacteria. All you’ve to do is apply it over affected part and wait for its nutrients to effect.
What is Sesame Oil?
Sesame oil is yellow colored oil which is extracted from sesame seeds. It is light, warm and neutral-wet oil with medium density.
Reports state that sesame plant is oldest cultivated crop in Babylon. Now, India and China stands at the top in production of this crop.
Sesame seeds are naturally packed with 50 percent of oil and 25 percent of proteins. Apart from healing this oil has extensive use in culinary purposes.
Is Sesame Oil Good for Acne?
Nutrients like vitamin E, B-complex, vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus are housed in this essential oil.
- Antioxidant agents in sesame oil help to fight free radicals that damage cell membrane.
- Anti-inflammatory property reduces acne inflammation.
- Antibacterial activity thwarts bacterial infection and thus helps to get rid of acne blemishes.
- Sesamol housed in the oil helps to prevent wrinkles, reduce oxidative stress and rejuvenate your skin.
- Exceptional healing properties fasten the healing process of pimples and enhance collagen production.
- Linoleic acid residing in this oil help to moisturize your skin.
- Solvents in sesame oil reduce the excess production of sebum.
- Massaging your skin with this oil will increase blood circulation and clear toxins.
- Vitamin E, D and B complex packed in sesame oil helps to lighten the appearance of acne scars.
- The high viscosity of this oil helps to penetrate deep into the skin.
- Assorted nutrients in the oil help to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Fatty acids like linoleic acid and palmitic acid exhibit antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Apart from treating acne, this innate remedy will make your skin supple and protects it from UV rays.
How to Use Sesame Oil for Acne and Acne Scars?
One of the easiest ways to use this innate ingredient is to dip a cotton ball in sesame oil and apply it over acne affected skin.
However, beauty experts recommend blending other natural ingredients to make the remedy effective.
#1. Sesame Oil to Treat Acne
- Dead cells and impurities are piled over your skin, wipe them out initially. Use natural exfoliator like gram flour mask or oatmeal face mask.
- Expose acne bumps to steam or wash them with lukewarm water. So that blocked pores open up to take the oil in it.
- Use a soft cloth to pat dry and apply sesame oil with a cotton ball.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off. (You can leave it overnight and wash in the morning)
Repeat the process till you see positive results. It may take 4-5 weeks to see the result.
Alternatively, use sesame oil as a spot treatment on acne lesions. Repeatedly massaging your skin will lighten the appearance of acne scars.
#2 Apple Cider Vinegar and Sesame Oil
Antibacterial and antiseptic abilities packed in ACV helps to thwart acne causing bacteria. Apart from this, an anti-inflammatory property exhibited by this ingredient helps to reduce acne inflammation.
- Dilute 4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 4 tbsp of water.
- Add 5 tbsp of sesame oil to the above solution.
- Stir thoroughly and apply it on pre-washed
- Allow it to dry naturally for 15-20 minutes.
#3. Turmeric and Sesame Oil for Acne Scars
Curcumin is an active compound in turmeric powder that exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that effectively treat acne blemishes.
Healing properties of turmeric help to lighten the appearance of acne scars.
- Mix 8 tbsp of turmeric powder with 5 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Expose your face towards steam to open blocked skin pores.
- Pat dry and apply the face mask evenly all over the face.
- You can also use this face mask as spot acne treatment.
- After 15-20 minutes, rinse it off with water.
#4. Sesame Oil and Rice Flour
Vitamins and minerals present in rice flour help to remove excess oil from the skin and also lighten the appearance of acne scars.
Tyrosinase is a compound in rice flour that is known to regulate melanin production and make your skin radiant.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of rice flour with the required amount of sesame oil.
- Wash your face to remove impurities.
- Pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Apply the mixed paste on the face and leave it to dry for 15 minutes.
- Moisturize with rose water after this face mask treatment.
#5. Eucalyptus Oil, Sesame Oil, and Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is renowned for its exfoliating ability. This face mask recipe will remove impurities and excess oil from your face.
However, don’t be harsh while applying the mask.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and 10 drops of eucalyptus oil to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Apply it over the skin gently.
- After 15-20 minutes, rinse it off with water.
Apart from this, green tea, honey, and drinking of excess water will do wonders to your skin. Change your lifestyle and you’ll notice the positive change on your skin.
- While cleansing or exfoliating, be gentle to avoid inflammation.
- Don’t squeeze or pinch your pimples, it will leave scars on your face.
- Be careful while shaving on acne affected part.
- Cosmetic creams and ingredients that you use must be non-comedogenic, as it will not block skin pores.
- Avoid eating foods that can trigger acne blemishes.
- Drink enough water and ingest vitamin rich diet to make improve the overall functioning of your skin.
- Ingredients that may irritate your skin must be avoided.
Did you ever use sesame oil for acne? Please share your recipe in comments.