Oats are popularly known to reduce cholesterol level in the body. Apart from being a healthy breakfast, oatmeal face mask has abundant benefits for skin. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties residing in oats aid to get rid of itching and acne.
Experts say that acne is mainly caused due to inflammation; oatmeal face mask for acne exfoliates your skin and wipes off the impurities that clogs skin pores. Assorted nutrients residing in oats enhance healthy functioning of the skin.
Benefits of Oatmeal Face Mask
- Saponins, a compound present in oatmeal exhibits cleansing property.
- Starchiness of this mask will lock moisture and lighten dark spots on face.
- Antioxidants in oatmeal thwart free radicals that are damaging skin cells. This feature avoids premature aging wrinkles.
- Vitamin B1 aids to improve blood circulation and makes your face glow naturally.
- Anti-inflammatory property reduces acne inflammation and kills acne causing bacteria because of its antimicrobial property.
- Oats are packed with zinc that can avoid many skin ailments including acne.
- Apart from treating pimples, oatmeal mask can efficiently lighten acne scars.
- Copper in oats improves your skin and fade wrinkles.
Homemade Oatmeal Face Mask
To reap all the benefits listed above, you’re advised to make your own oatmeal face mask at home. Depending on your skin type and ailment, you can add other innate ingredients to oats. Before that, let me share a simple recipe with which you can make your face clean and supple.
- Take 5 table spoons of oats and cook it by adding required amount of water.
- Cool it down and add water if needed to make smooth paste.
- Before apply the mask, wash your face and pat dry with soft cloth.
- Use your clean fingers to apply the mask topically all over the face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Optionally, you can apply natural moisturizer after wiping the face mask.
Lemon, Honey and Oatmeal Face Mask for Acne
Though oats are packed with exceptional properties that are enough to treat acne blemishes, you can add lemon juice and raw honey to make the mask more effective.
- Citric acid in lemon juice lightens dark spots and anti-bacterial agents kill infectious bacteria.
- Raw honey is renowned for antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and humectant properties. These agents can effectively treat acne and fade scars.
- Excess use of lemon juice can make your skin sensitive, so limit its use if you’ve sensitive skin.
Ingredients include 2 table spoon of raw honey, few drops of lemon juice and finely grounded oats.
Grind the oats and add honey and lemon juice to it. Optionally, you can add tea tree oil or other essential oil for aroma.
Wash your face with lukewarm water and massage it with jojoba oil (optional) before applying the face mask. So that blocked skin pores open up.
Add this face mask cream to your beauty regimen to use regularly. (Face mask recipe source)
Related post: Lemon for acne scars
Honey, Yogurt and Oatmeal Face Mask for Acne Scars
Probiotic enzymes in plain yogurt will nourish and fight acne lesions on the skin. And honey locks moisturizer and enhances collagen production to lighten the acne scars.
- 1 table spoon of finely grounded oatmeal
- 1 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp of raw honey or manuka honey
Mix all ingredients in a clean bowl and apply it over your prewashed face. Don’t stop using the face mask after treating acne lesions; continue it until it gets clear skin.