Plenty of people around the world are suffering from different types of skin related problems. Eczema is one of the most common and stubborn skin diseases affecting millions of people around the globe. This write-up will discuss about apple cider vinegar for eczema.
According to the world’s leading dermatologists and other health experts, eczema is an incurable unhealthy skin condition caused due to some different factors including genetics, weak immune system, lifestyle including diet and lack of physical exercise.
It might be a fact that eczema is incurable, but there are enough proofs which suggest that the homeopathy treatment can entirely cure it. Homeopathic remedies like petroleum, psorinum, graphites and Sulphur are very beneficial to cure eczema.
The severity of eczema can also be controlled with some home-made remedies. How can ACV be very beneficial for eczema, which properties of ACV make it very useful for eczema?
Before discussing the benefits of ACV for skin and how to use it smartly to get rid of eczema, we will underline some of the possible causes of eczema. Last but not least, we will try to figure out some handy tips to avoid eczema. Let’s start with the causes of eczema first.
What Causes Eczema?
The exact cause of eczema is still unknown, but experts across the globe believe that it can cause due to some factors or even due to some group of factors including genetics, abnormal immune system, environment, sensitiveness of the skin and defects in the skin barriers.
Genetics is surely one of the biggest reasons behind eczema. If anyone of your close relative has or had eczema, you might get affected by it. Eczema runs through the generations and can affect the generation after generation.
Having an abnormal or weaker immune system can be another triggering factor for eczema. You are always surrounded by loads of harmful elements including microorganisms and other disease-causing agents.
Constant exposure to the disease-causing agents can actually make your immune system weaker and you can easily be affected with even less harmful elements.
The environment is another undeniable reason behind eczema. Being constantly in an unhealthy environment can make your skin prone to different types of skin related problems including eczema.
Different types of pollution including water pollution, air pollution, and soil pollution can be responsible for the development of eczema. According to some trusted survey reports, people who live in slum areas where the atmosphere is not healthy, have more chances of getting affected with eczema.
Another reason behind eczema can be the sensitiveness of the skin. Some people may have more sensitive skin than others. These people with sensitive skin can be easily affected with different types of abnormal skin conditions including eczema.
Also read: How to Use Herbal Tea for Eczema?
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Eczema?
This is an interesting question and the answer is, yes it is pretty good for eczema. Let’s try to find out which properties of ACV make it very effective to reduce the severity of eczema.
In this segment of the article, we are going to discuss some of the very notable skin-friendly benefits of ACV.
ACV Detoxifies Your Body
Toxicity of your body can only aid the eczema. Due to being rich in enzymes, good bacteria and acetic acid, ACV can detoxify your body to incredible extent.
Abnormal blood circulation is not good in any way. ACV is very effective in blood circulation as well. It helps blood to circulate even to the thin layers of the skin and hence can be very beneficial in case of eczema.
Great Anti-Oxidant Properties
Bioactive compounds like acetic acid, caffeic acid and galleic acid make it a great anti-oxidant. These antioxidant properties of ACV can control the free radicals, can control the cell DNA damage and hence can play a key role in curing eczema.
A Wonderful Antiseptic
Apple cider vinegar is in use since a long time for treating plenty of skin diseases thanks to its antiseptic properties. Eczema is almost always accompanied with inflammation, itchiness and irritation of the skin.
ACV can control all these symptoms thanks to its antiseptic properties. It can also be used as an antiseptic even for healthy skin.
Improves Immune System
Improving immune system is one of the best ways to combat eczema. By improving immune system, we can surely improve the condition of the skin altered due to eczema.
ACV is proved to be a wonderful supporter of immune system. Constant use of concentrated ACV can progressively improve immune system and hence can be very handy to get rid of eczema without any side effect.
Infection of the skin can only support the progress of eczema. Skin infection can help eczema to affect different parts of the body. If you are not controlling the skin infection, trying to treat eczema is waste of time.
ACV works as a wonderful disinfectant and reduces all types of infections related to skin, and hence can be more than handy to get rid of eczema.
Impurity of blood can be another responsible factor in case of eczema. Consuming a little amount of concentrated ACV on a regular basis can be proved very handy to combat most of the unhealthy skin conditions including eczema.
Can Reduce the Itching
Eczema on the scalp is more than annoying than eczema on other parts of the skin and it also takes very long time to cure. Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Eczema is one of the best options.
Constant itching of the scalp can only increase the severity of eczema. ACV can sooth the skin and can reduce the urge to rub the skin which can proved handy to get rid of eczema.
Maintains the Balance of The Skin
ACV is capable of controlling the excessive skin oil and it can also maintain the p H level of the skin. Whether your skin is too oily or too dry, both the conditions are ideal for eczema.
It is very effective to maintain the balance of your skin and it stops your skin to become too oily or too dry.
Reduces Age Spots
Age spots can be very annoying as well as tough to get rid of. ACV is rich in alpha hydroxy acids that can remove the dead cells from the skin and help to build the new, healthy and vibrant skin.
Fights Acne, Pimples and Blemishes
Due to the presence of malic acid, apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties and it becomes capable of keeping bacteria and other harmful microorganism at bay and hence keeping your skin free from different types of skin related problems like acne, pimples and blemishes.
Diluted apple cider vinegar can help you to reduce the fine lines and wrinkles from face. Soaking a cotton pad with little amount of diluted ACV and applying on your skin daily is enough to keep the wrinkles at bay.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Eczema?
There are plenty of different topical as well as internal use of ACV to reduce the severity of eczema. You can increase its effectiveness by using it a bit differently or by using it along with some other sin friendly ingredients.
Let’s have a look at some of the recipes of ACV for topical use.
ACV for Topical Use:
#1 ACV in bath water
Benefits: Adding a little amount of ACV in your bathing tub can very effective in case of eczema. This is one of the best and cheapest ways to get rid of eczema. It won’t only reduce eczema, it will also make your skin smooth and light.
- Add a half cup of ACV in your bath tub or 2 tbsp. in a bucket of water.
- Soak your body in a warm bath tub each evening.
- Follow it with a healing ointment.
- You can repeat this process as long as you can, it will only be healthy for your skin.
#2 Application of ACV with water
Benefits: Eczema flare-ups can be very annoying as well as can make your skin very ugly and unhealthy. This particular method is very effective to get rid of flare-ups due to eczema.
- Add equal amount of water and ACV properly (1:3 ratio i.e. much diluted ACV is recommended for children).
- Take a small cotton ball and soak it will with the mixture.
- Apply gently in the affected area(s).
#3 Excellent Skin Cleanser
Benefits: Anti-bacterial anti-microbial properties make it a very effective skin cleanser. It can clean your skin like no other ingredients. Cleaning your skin in case of eczema is one of the best ways to reduce eczema.
- Mix 1 cup of ACV with 1 cup of water.
- Add 2-3 drops of essential oil like lemon essential oil.
- Apply this mixture to the affected areas using a cotton ball.
#4 ACV Moisturizer
Benefits: Moisturizing your skin is very necessary especially in case of eczema. And what can be a better skin moisturizer than ACV itself? Its constant application on the skin can moisturize your skin to a decent extent and can be very handy to reduce the flare-ups caused due to eczema.
- Add 1 tbsp. ACV to 30 mL lukewarm water.
- Add 2-3 drops of honey and mix well.
- Apply on the skin affected with eczema.
#5 Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Eczema
Benefits: Application of ACV with Aloe Vera can be very healthy for your skin. In addition to be a great cleanser, Aloe Vera is wonderful to make your skin smooth and soft. It can also reduce the inflammation of the skin thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Extract 2 tbsp. Aloe Vera juice from fresh Aloe Vera leaves.
- Add 2 tbsp. ACV to it and mix well.
- You can increase the quantity of both Aloe Vera and ACV according to the area affected with eczema.
- Mix it well until it becomes like a lotion.
- Apply properly on the affected areas.
- Repeat the process daily for at least a month for excellent results.
Must read: Is Aloe Vera Good for Eczema?
#6 ACV with Olive Oil
Benefits: All of us are very well aware about the benefits of holy Olive Oil. It is not less than a blessing for skin. It can make your skin healthy, soft and supple by getting rid of loads of unhealthy skin conditions. Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties of olive oil can be more than handy in case of eczema.
- Add 2 tbsp. ACV to equal amount of virgin olive oil.
- After mixing them well, apply on the affected areas and leave it 3-4 hours.
- Gently wash with lukewarm water and moisturize with a gentle moisturizer.
#7 ACV with Glycerin
Benefits: When it comes to moisturizing your skin, nothing can be as effective as glycerin. Eczema causes the dryness of the skin and glycerin is surely going to be effective to reduce the dryness and to make your skin soft and moisturized.
- Take 1 tbsp. ACV, 2 tbsp. glycerin and mix them properly.
- Apply the solution gently using a cotton ball.
- Keep it on for an hour and then wash gently with lukewarm water.
#8 ACV with Petroleum Mother Tincture
Benefits: Some of the Homeopathic remedies are wonderful to cure eczema and mother tincture of petroleum is surely one of the best among them. Its crude form is used to prepare Vaseline and it can be very effective to maintain the smoothness of the skin.
- Take half cup of ACV and add 3-4 tbsp. Petroleum MT to it.
- Mix both the ingredients thoroughly and apply on the skin affected with eczema.
- Keep it on for at least 5 hours.
- Then wash off with fresh water and apply a gentle moisturizer.
#9 ACV with Mother Tincture of Sulphur
Benefits: Sulphur is another excellent homeopathic remedy for skin. It can cure most of the chronic skin conditions including eczema. It can help you to get rid of dried, scaly and unhealthy skin caused due to eczema.
- Mix 5 tbsp. ACV and 10 drops Sulphur MT together in 2-3 drops of water.
- Apply on the affected area(s) using a cotton plug.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with fresh water.
- Keep repeating the process daily for 1 to 1 ½ month.
#10 ACV with Turmeric
Benefits: Turmeric is a wonderful ingredient for skin. In addition to having excellent anti-inflammatory properties, it work wonders to reduce the scars and rashes of the skin.
- Take a half cup of turmeric and add enough water to make a fine paste.
- Add 2 tbsp. ACV and keep aside until the bubbling is done.
- Mix well with a spoon so that ACV is absorbed properly in turmeric paste.
- Apply on the affected areas and leave for 1 hour.
- Apply little amount of lukewarm water to ease off the hardened paste.
- Wash thoroughly with fresh water and apply a gentle moisturizer.
Related Post: How to Use Turmeric for Psoriasis?
ACV for Internal Uses:
#11 ACV with Baking Soda
Benefits: Baking soda is very healthy for skin in plenty of ways. It can exfoliates your skin to decent extent. Due to its antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, it becomes very good ingredient for treating eczema.
- Add ¼ tbsp. baking soda to 2 tbsp. ACV.
- Ad both these ingredients to a half cup of water.
- Once the fizz is stopped, add a little amount of honey.
- Stir it properly and drink.
- Follow the process regularly for a month for better results.
#12 ACV with Lemon Juice
Benefits: When it comes to making your skin bright and light, lemon juice is perhaps one of the best ingredients thanks to the presence of plenty of vitamin C in it. It will work wonderfully with ACV and will be handy to reduce the hardness of the skin caused due to eczema.
- Take one glass of water and add 1 tbsp. ACV into it.
- Stir well with a spoon and add half tbsp. lemon juice.
- Stir again and drink.
- Repeat the process daily in morning.
#13 Bubbling ACV tea
Benefits: This fizzy tea is not only helpful to reduce the severity of eczema, it will also give you a fresh and soothing feeling.
- Add 2 tbsp. ACV to an empty cup.
- Add ¼ tbsp. baking soda, mix well and keep aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a half cup of lukewarm (not boiling) water.
- Now add 1 tbsp. tea leaves (you can use tea bag as well).
- Take this tea daily in the morning and see the difference.
#14 ACV with Peppermint
Benefits: Fresh peppermint leaves are very healthy and beneficial for overall health including skin. Peppermint is known for its excellent soothing properties. It can be proved very effective to reduce the hardness and rashes caused due to eczema. Adding peppermint leaves with ACV can also help you to feel fresh and energized.
- Take a handful of peppermint leaves and prepare a fine paste.
- Take a glass of chilled water and add 2 tbsp. ACV and the peppermint paste.
- Mix well with the spoon and add a little amount of lemon juice.
- Drink this juice daily in the morning until you get some better results.
#15 ACV in Orange Juice
Benefits: Improving your immune system is one of the best ways to combat eczema. Drinking tangy glass of fresh orange juice is not only going to improve your immune system, it will also make your skin healthier thanks to the presence of calcium, fiber, and vitamin C. Adding ACV to your orange juice is certainly a very smart idea.
- Squeeze the juice of 3-4 oranges in a jar.
- Add 2 tbsp. ACV, ½ tbsp. sugar and a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Mix well and consume the drink.
- Keep drinking daily in morning for a month or so.
Tips to Reduce Eczema Flare-ups:
Flare-ups caused due to eczema can be very annoying and can make your skin unhealthy and ugly. You can easily get rid of these flare-ups by adapting some proved tricks. Let’s have a look at some of the very easy and time-saving tricks to reduce the eczema flare-ups.
- Keep Your Skin Moist: Dryness of the skin can only aid the eczema. If your skin is too dry, it becomes more rough and itchy. Use a humidifier or a gentle moisturizer to keep the dryness away from your skin.
- Keep Yourself Away From Irritants: Try to find out what may irritate your skin and keep yourself away from it.
- Clothing: Wearing tight and rough clothes can also cause the increase in severity of the eczema. It can also cause itchiness of your skin. Try to wear soft and loose clothes so that you feel better and comfortable.
- Keep Your Surroundings Clean: Try to keep your surroundings clean and fresh. Keeping your surrounding clean is very important if you want to get rid of eczema flare-ups.
- Drink Enough Liquid: Keeping your body hydrated is a must especially if you are fighting with eczema. Consuming enough liquid on a daily basis can be very handy to keep your body hydrated and hence to combat eczema and eczema flare-ups.
- Make A Significant Change In Your Lifestyle: Lazy lifestyle can also be a triggering factor for eczema and eczema flare-ups. You can avoid it by adapting a healthy and active lifestyle. Try to take enough veggies and other beneficial stuffs with your diet and make sure you are doing enough physical workout constantly.
- Manage Your Stress: Stress can only make your unhealthy skin condition worse than you can imagine. Try to figure out the reason behind your stress and get rid of it as soon as possible. Consulting a mental expert won’t be a bad idea.
If you ever used apple cider vinegar for treating eczema, then share your experience in comments.