Looking good and attractive is very important for your personality. It doesn’t only give you plenty of confidence; it also makes a massive impact on your personal as well as professional life.
Stay tuned to know about benefits of baking soda for skin whitening.
Everyone wants to have a clean, gorgeous and flawless skin but it is not always possible due to various factors like poor dieting, pollution, prolonged exposure to sunlight, stress, genetics and different skin problems.
There are so many different whitening products available in the market which can be a bit harmful due to presence of chemicals and other unhealthy substances in them. In this article, we are going to discuss baking soda to lighten skin.
You don’t need to worry about your skin darkness as baking soda is going to be very useful to give you fair and whiter skin. The most important thing about baking soda is. It is entirely safe for your skin and doesn’t contain any harsh or unhealthy chemical.
Before going to address the properties and skin benefits of baking soda, we will try to talk about the causes of dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Let’s have a look at some of the apparent objects of the darkness of the skin.
What Causes Dark Spots and Hyperpigmentation?
There might be different responsible factors behind the darkness of skin including genetics, hormonal imbalances, pollution, dieting, lack of physical activities, stress etc. We are trying to encircle some very common causes of dark spots or hyperpigmentation.
- Genetics and hormonal imbalance are apparent reasons behind hyperpigmentation. If there is a history of hyperpigmentation in your family, you might get affected by it as well. Rise in estrogen and progesterone due to any reason can boost the production of melanin and hence can increase the darkness of the skin.
- Pollution is another undeniable reason behind skin darkness. Presence of unhealthy and harmful particles in the atmosphere can cause damage to your skin cells which can turn into dark spots.
- Your dieting is one of the most critical factors of your health and can play a crucial role in building your personality. Imbalanced and improper diet can be very harmful to your overall health and can be a responsible factor behind skin darkness as well.
- Most of the world population is suffering from health problems related to obesity and overweight. Excessive body fat can cause loads of health-related issues including hyperpigmentation. When your body is not moving constantly, the blood circulation gets affected which can also damage the skin cells and hence can cause dark spots on different parts of the body.
- Stress is another very common reason for most of the health-related problems, and hyperpigmentation is not different. When you are suffering from mental stress, all the systems and functions of your body get affected severely including the process of pigmentation and hence can cause the hyperpigmentation.
Related: 25 Foods to Lighten Your Skin
Is Baking Soda Good for Skin Whitening?
Why baking soda can be used for skin whitening? Which properties of baking soda make it very effective to reduce hyperpigmentation? Let’s underline some very useful skin benefits of baking soda.
1. Exfoliates Skin
Hyperpigmentation or dark spots can cause cell death just under the layers of skin. Sodium bicarbonate is an excellent exfoliator. It is capable of removing dead cells from the skin and paving the way for new and fresh skin.
2. Maintains the p H Levels of Skin
Hyperpigmentation can make your skin cells a bit acidic. Thanks to its amphoteric properties, baking soda is very good to neutralize the acid-alkaline nature of the skin which is much needed to maintain the health of your skin.
3. Wonderful Antioxidant
Different types of factors can cause different skin infections which can only aid the dark spots. Due to being a great antioxidant, sodium bicarbonate keeps the skin infections at bay and can be very handy to bring back the natural whiteness of the skin.
4. Fights Acne and Pimples
Acne and pimples can make your skin look unhealthy. If you are annoyed with acne and pimples, you don’t need to use harsh and strong chemicals. Baking soda can do it for you. Antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of sodium bicarbonate are very helpful to treat acne and pimples and are very good to reduce the aftereffects of acne and pimples.
5. Relieves Sunburn
Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause severe damage to the skin cells and can be an apparent cause behind the dark spots. Baking soda has excellent soothing effects on the sunburned skin. It can also provide excellent relief to itching and burning caused due to sunburn. Due to its antiseptic and drying properties, it is capable of drying out sunburn blisters.
6. Improves Skin Tonicity
Uneven skin tone is very annoying for many. If you want to maintain the tonicity of your skin, or even want to get the tonicity back, sodium bicarbonate is going to help you thanks to its exfoliating and p H maintaining properties.
7. Natural Deodorant
Using baking soda as a deodorant is always a very good option. It is very safe and gentle for skin and won’t cause any type of skin irritation. It is capable of neutralizing bad odor and absorbing excess sweat from the skin. You can use it alone and can use it as in ingredient for preparing a nice and gentle deodorant.
8. Removes Blackhead
Thanks to its wonderful bleaching properties, it is capable of removing blackheads from skin. Using it as scrub along with lemon juice can remove blackhead in very quick time.
9. Poison Ivy Relief
Poison ivy is known for producing blisters on the skin. Baking soda is one of the best natural remedies for fighting the effects of poison ivy. Using it with a little amount of water is enough to promote speedy healing.
10. Removes Excess Oil from Skin
Excessive oil of the skin is not healthy at all. It can make your skin unhealthy and dull. If you are annoyed after trying different things to reduce oil from your skin, you must try baking soda at least once. Baking soda is very good to exfoliate your skin and can control excessive moisture of the skin.
How to Use Baking Soda for Skin Whitening?
As we have already discussed about the causes of hyperpigmentation and skin benefits of sodium bicarbonate, we can proceed further. We are now going to talk how to use baking soda to lighten skin. You can use it differently and with other skin healthy ingredients for increasing its effects.
#1 Baking Soda Paste
Benefits: It is more than enough to use only baking powder for skin whitening. We have already discussed about the skin benefits of baking soda. All the properties of it make it very effective for most of the skin problems including hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
- Take 2 tbsp. sodium bicarbonate and half cup of water.
- Mix well with water to make a fine paste.
- Apply on the affected area(s) and leave for half an hour.
- Wash off with clean water and pat dry with soft cloth.
- Repeat the process at least thrice a week for better results.
#2 Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
Benefits: You are very well aware about the benefits of lemon juice. There are dozens of health benefits of lemon juice. Constant use of lemon juice is going to improve your immune system thanks to the presence of vitamin-C in it. Rubbing lemon juice itself on the skin is going to be very helpful to achieve clear and white skin.
- Take 1 tbsp. sodium bicarbonate and 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix well and make a fine paste.
- Apply properly on the affected area(s).
- Wash off after 15 minutes and pat dry with soft cloth.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer as both lemon and baking soda are acidic.
- Follow the procedure twice a week.
#3 Baking Soda with Orange Juice
Benefits: Orange is slightly acidic in nature and maintains the p H levels of your skin. Due to the presence of vitamin-C, it also improves the production of collagen.
All these properties of orange juice and exfoliating and cleansing properties of baking soda is going to be very helpful for achieving fair skin. More importantly, it is very easy and affordable to use orange with baking soda for skin lightening.
- Take 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice and 1 tbsp. baking soda.
- Mix well until you get a smooth paste.
- Wash the surface of the skin and dry it using a towel.
- Apply the paste properly on skin and leave for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with fresh water and pat dry again.
- You can follow this procedure 4-5 times a week.
#4 Baking Soda with Coconut Oil
Benefits: In addition to being an excellent skin moisturizer, coconut oil is also known for its wonderful antibacterial and antifungal properties. Using it with sodium bicarbonate is a very good option as it will be helpful to combat any type of skin infection.
- Add 1 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tbsp. coconut oil together.
- Mix well to prepare a fine paste.
- Apply on the affected area and keep it on for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Repeat the process daily for at least a month.
#5 Baking Soda with Honey
Benefits: Honey is not less than a blessing from nature. It is full of antioxidants which make it excellent for most of the skin conditions. In addition to it, it is a wonderful antibacterial agent and keeps all types of infections at bay.
It is also a wonderful moisturizer and maintains the smoothness and complexion of the skin. Using it with baking soda is only going to increase the effects of both ingredients.
- Combine 1 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tbsp. honey.
- Mix properly until you get a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture on the dark spots and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with clean water and pat dry.
- You can use a mild scrubber as honey is a bit sticky on skin.
- Follow the procedure at least twice a week.
Related: Is Honey Good for Skin Whitening?
#6 Baking Soda with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Benefits: Concentrated hydrogen peroxide is very good for skin and it can cure dark spots very rapidly. Being a very good antiseptic and disinfectant, it is a very good choice to use with baking soda.
- Add 1 cup baking soda with 1 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Keep aside until the mixture eases of after the chemical reaction.
- Mix both ingredients again and check if there is any bubbling.
- Mix until you get a fine paste.
- Apply properly on the dark spots and leave for 5 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer.
Note: Hydrogen Peroxide is a very strong acid and can severely burn your skin. It is strictly advised to use only 3% concentrated hydrogen peroxide. If you have even a little sensitive skin, ignore this method.
#7 Baking Soda with Epsom Salt
Benefits: Epsom salt is very good to reduce the inflammation of skin. Skin can absorb Epsom salt very easily and it can work effectively to remove dead cells from the layers of skin. There are plenty of other health benefits of Epsom salt and using it with sodium bicarbonate is going to help you to reduce hyperpigmentation,
- Add 1 tbsp. baking soda and ½ tbsp. Epsom salt.
- Add a little water and prepare a fine paste.
- Apply properly on the affected area(s) and leave for half an hour.
- You can add 2 tbsp. Epsom salt to your bath water as well.
- After half an hour, wash off with clean water and pat dry.
#8 Baking Soda with White Vinegar
Benefits: There are dozens of skin benefits of white vinegar. Using it with baking soda for skin lightening is one of the smartest options. It is a natural astringent. It can soothe your skin in any condition.
In addition to it, white vinegar is used for maintaining the tonicity of the skin. There are plenty of other benefits of white vinegar which make it perfect for using with baking soda.
- Take 2 tbsp. baking soda and 2 tbsp. white vinegar.
- Mix thoroughly to prepare a fine paste.
- Apply one the dark spots and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with fresh water and then pat dry.
- Apply any gentle moisturizer.
- Repeat the process daily in the morning.
#9 Baking Soda with Castor Oil
Benefits: Castor oil is a wonderful moisturizer. It is full of fatty acids which help it to penetrate through the skin and repair the skin damage caused due to hyperpigmentation.
- Take 2 tbsp. baking soda and 2 tbsp. castor oil.
- Mix well and make a fine paste.
- Apply on the affected area(s) using a cotton plug.
- Keep the mixture on for 2 hours.
- Wash off with clean water and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a week.
#10 Baking Soda with Cucumber
Benefits: Cucumber is very good for skin thanks to the presence of vitamin-C and caffeic acid. There is plenty of water in cucumber which helps to reduce the inflammation and irritation of skin. It also keeps your skin hydrated.
- Take half cucumber and cut into thin slices.
- Grind these slices in a grinder and transfer to a small bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp. sodium bicarbonate and a little amount of water.
- Mix well to make a thick paste.
- You can add water according to the consistency.
- Apply well on the dark spots.
- Cover it with a soft cloth and leave for whole night.
- Take shower in the morning.
- Follow the procedure at least once in a week.
Read this: Is Cucumber Good for Skin Lightening?
#11 Baking Soda with Olive Oil
Benefits: Olive oil is one of the best oils when it comes to skin. In addition to being a wonderful moisturizer, it is very good antibacterial agent, exfoliator, and wonderful bleach. It can be very effective with baking powder for skin lightening.
- Add 2 tbsp. baking soda and 4 tbsp. olive oil.
- Mix well and make a fine paste.
- Apply on the skin affected with dark spots.
- Leave for 1 hour and then wash off with clean water.
- Repeat the process for 3 times a week.
#12 Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
Benefits: ACV contains alpha hydroxyl acids that can remove dead cells from skin and can help to reveal healthy and vibrant new skin.
- Take 2 tbsp. baking soda and 3 tbsp. ACV.
- Prepare a fine paste by mixing well.
- Apply on the dark spots and leave for half an hour.
- Wash off with fresh water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process twice a week for 2 months.
#13 Baking Soda with Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Benefits: Carrot Seed EO full of beta-carotene which makes it mighty helpful to reduce hyperpigmentation and hence to maintain the natural coloration of skin.
- Take 2 tbsp. baking soda and add little amount of water to make a fine paste.
- Add 10 drops of carrot seed EO and mix well.
- Apply on dark spots and leave for half an hour.
- Wash well with fresh water.
- Keep following the process for 2 months.
#14 Baking Soda with Sandalwood EO
Benefits: Sandalwood EO is very good at maintaining the coloration as well as tonicity of skin. It is known for controlling hyperpigmentation and hence can be used for getting fair skin.
- Make a fine paste using 2 tbsp. baking soda and little amount of water.
- Add 8-10 drops of sandalwood EO and mix well.
- Apply on the affected areas and cover with soft cloth.
- Leave for whole night and then take shower in morning.
- Repeat the process before going to sleep for 2- 2 ½ months.
#15 Baking Soda with Carrot Juice
Benefits: Carrot juice is full of skin related benefits due to high amount of vitamin-C. It is capable of fighting most of the skin problems like skin rashes, darkness of the skin, acne, pimples, psoriasis etc.
- Take 5 tbsp. carrot juice and add 2 tbsp. baking soda.
- Mix well until it becomes a fine paste.
- Apply thoroughly on dark spots.
- Leave for 20 minutes and then wash off with fresh water.
- Repeat the process daily for 2 months.
#16 Baking Soda with Rose Water
Benefits: Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, rose water is very good to get rid of a lot of skin related problems including acne, dermatitis and hyperpigmentation. It can reduce the darkness and hardness of the skin to a decent extent.
- Take 3 tbsp. baking soda and prepare a fine paste using rose water.
- Apply on the affected area(s) and leave for 2 hours.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Apply rose water as moisturizer.
- Repeat the procedure twice a day for 1 month.
Tips to Obtain Glowing Skin
- Keep your skin moisturized with a gentle moisturizer.
- Don’t skip bathing without a valid reason.
- Add enough vegetables and fluids to your diet.
- Avoid junk food as much as possible.
- Don’t use any product for your skin without knowing properly about it.
- Add physical exercise in your daily routine.
- Avoid sunlight as much as possible or keep your body covered when you are out.
- Do not ignore even a little rash or redness on your skin.
- Try to wear loose and soft clothes (cotton will be the best choice).
If you’re using baking soda to lighten your skin, then make sure you hydrate the face with aloe vera to avoid irritation.