Instead of consuming delicious tomatoes in your kitchen, mash them and apply it on your face. Am not kidding! This write-up will help you to unleash benefits of tomato for skin whitening.
Extensively used for culinary purposes, these red tomatoes are packed with cosmetic benefits. But very few of them knew about it.
Apart from making you look gorgeous, skin guards your body against various irritants. Skin-related ailments can be reduced and healed using this sour tasting fruit.
What Causes Darkening of Skin on Face?
Melanin is a pigment responsible for your skin color. Excess exposure to sunlight influences the production of melanocytes resulting in dark complexion.
However, complexion turns normal with time.
But, impurities and prolonged exposure to sun rays may leave dark spots at different places.
There are many factors causing dark spots over the skin, which include pollutants, dehydration, low nutritious diet, genetics, hormonal imbalance, heavy use of cosmetics and lifestyle.
Though there is a huge list of cosmetic creams that claim to lighten dark complexion, most of them include chemical ingredients that can trigger an allergic reaction.
Instead, natural remedies on are inexpensive and effective with no or fewer side-effects.
Is Tomato Good for Skin Whitening?
With this face mask recipe, you can turn your home into a temporary spa.
You don’t have to schedule an appointment for a beauty parlor. This way you’re not just saving time and money, but your skin will be saved from chemical irritants.
- The astringent activity of tomato face mask will shrink large skin pores so that your skin tightens and impurities get removed.
- Minor sunburns and itchy skin can be relieved by the cooling effect of tomato and yogurt face mask.
- Due to the presence of vitamin A, topical application of tomato face mask will lighten your skin and reduce dark spots.
- Bleaching property in this fruit will lighten or fade dark spots giving your skin a glowing effect.
- Vitamin B housed in this facial will help to reduce fine lines, premature aging wrinkles and promote cell regeneration.
- Vitamin A exhibits antioxidant activity by fighting free radicals and also helps to get rid of wrinkles.
- Vitamin C enhances collagen production and tightens the skin texture.
- Excess oil production leads to acne blemishes, regular application of this face mask will help you to get rid of oily skin.
- Potassium content in this facial helps to lock moisture on your dry skin.
- Magnesium helps to make your face radiant.
- Lycopene is a compound in tomatoes, which is known to protect your skin from UV rays.
- Mix brown sugar with tomato pulp to exfoliate dead cells and impurities from the skin.
Regular application of tomato face mask can control excess production of sebum.
How to Use Tomato for Skin Whitening?
If you’re a lazy guy, then wash your face and slightly rub sliced tomato on it for few minutes. Allow it to dry naturally for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
But, if you want to try homemade facial, then below listed are different recipes that aren’t just inexpensive but effective than your beauty products.
#1. Tomato and Lemon Juice
The acidic and bleaching activity of lemon juice can reduce the appearance of dark spots and exfoliate your skin.
- Take fresh tomatoes and slice them into small pieces after washing them.
- Grind it with 1-2 drops of lemon juice, add required amount of distilled water to make a thick
- Cleanse your face and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Now ask your partner to apply the tomato mask evenly all over the face and gently massage in circular motion.
Leave it to dry naturally and then rinse it off. If your skin feels irritated to apply any essential oil to hydrate the skin.
#2. Avocado and Tomato
Avocado facial includes healthy fats that can hydrate your skin and assorted vitamins can promote collagen production to reduce wrinkles.
Polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols, a fat available in avocado can protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Mix required an amount of tomato pulp with avocado pulp and apply it over the prewashed
- Leave it dry naturally and then rinse it off.
- You can add other natural ingredients to tomato pulp and apply it over the skin. But, make sure that you don’t incorporate allergic substances into the mask.
#3. Tomato and Butter Milk
- Blend 2 tablespoon of tomato pulp with 4 tablespoons of buttermilk or yogurt.
- Wash your face with cold water and pat dry.
- When the skin is still damp, apply the mask evenly and rinse it off after 15-20 minutes.
#4. Sugar and Tomato for Skin Lightening
Sugar is known for its exfoliating properties that help to cleanse impurities and dead cells.
- Peel a fresh tomato and mash it into a smooth
- Add 1 tbsp of sugar and then mix well.
- Apply this facial to your skin and gently massage in circular motion for few minutes.
- Allow it to dry for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
#5. Honey and Tomato to Lighten Skin
Extolling benefits of honey are documented in historical and religious scriptures.
It’s moisturizing, healing, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and other assorted properties together help to make your skin radiant.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey to 1/2 cup of tomato puree.
- Stir well and apply it on your pre-washed
- Let it dry for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this simple process twice in a week.
#6. Cucumber and Tomato to Whiten Skin
Cucumber is prominent for its rich content of water. Its anti-inflammatory properties can reduce chronic skin ailments like acne and eczema.
Also renowned for its skin lightening abilities, cucumber can help you to obtain glowing skin.
- Take a ½ peeled tomato and ¼ peeled cucumber.
- Sliced these two ingredients into small pieces.
- Blend them to obtain paste-like
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric or honey to make it more effective.
- Now, apply this face mask on your face and allow it to dry for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal water.
#7. Sandalwood and Tomato
Sandalwood powder is extensively known for its skin whitening abilities. Apart from making your skin radiant, sandalwood facial can treat chronic skin ailments.
- Mash 1 fresh tomato and add 1 tbsp of sandalwood powder to it.
- Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice to it.
- Mix well and apply it on the prewashed face in circular motion.
- Let it dry naturally for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
#8. Olive Oil and Tomato for Skin Whitening
Monounsaturated fatty acids present in olive oil can lock moisture on your skin and reduce the appearance of scars and dark spots.
More about its skin whitening properties are here.
- Add 3 tbsp of tomato puree with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Mix well and apply it on your face.
- Let it dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with normal water.
#9. Potato and Tomato Face Mask
You might not believe, but topical application of potato can soothe your minor burns and turn your skin radiant.
Assorted nutrients in this vegetable can moisturize your dry skin.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree with 2 tbsp of mashed potatoes.
- Apply these two ingredients on the prewashed
- Rinse it off with water after 15 minutes.
- Pat dry using a soft cloth.
#10. Gram Flour and Tomato Face Pack
This home available ingredients gram flour or besan is prominent for exfoliating. Regular application of this ingredient will lighten your skin.
To make it more effective, mix tomato puree.
- Add ½ of tomato mask to 1 tablespoon of gram flour.
- Mix these two ingredients well and apply it on your face.
- Let it be on your skin for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
- You can optionally, add few drops of lemon juice to fight bacterial infection.
#11. Papaya and Tomato
Papaya fruit includes an enzyme known as Papain that helps to reduce hyperpigmentation. Apart from this, vitamin A, C, and minerals encourage radiant skin.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mashed papaya with 2 tbsp of tomato puree.
- Mix thoroughly and then apply it to your face in circular motion.
- Let it dry for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
Read this: How to use papaya for skin whitening?
#12. Almond and Tomato Facial
Vitamin E present in almond helps to improve skin tone and its topical application can protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Check out its skin lightening abilities here.
- Initially soak 3-4 almonds overnight.
- Peel it and mash those almonds in the morning.
- Mix 1 tbsp of tomato puree with the almond paste.
- Apply the mixed facial on your face and allow it to dry naturally for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Important Tips: You must read
You don’t need to try all of the listed recipes.
Start with the simple recipe and continue for few weeks before you quit.
Along with the topical application, you must ingest vitamin-rich diet and hydrate your skin from inside by drinking enough liquids.
There are few irritants that don’t well with your skin. To avoid it, please patch test before applying the facial on your face.
Beauty creams that are incorporated with chemical preservatives must be avoided.
Also, wear sunscreen cream while going out in summer to avoid sunburns.
Long exposure to computer and mobile screen can result in dark circles in some cases. Please limit its use.
Did you ever use tomato face mask to lighten skin? If yes, then do let me know your recipe in comments.