You’ll be surprised to know that yeast are not foreign fungi, they live inside vagina in small number along with bacteria. Lactobacillus acidophilus is the bacteria which restrain fungi growth, but repeated use of antibiotics, illness or poor nutritional diet may decrease the good bacteria number. This paves the way for yeast growth resulting in redness, swelling and severe itching, thus leading to yeast infection.
There are bunch of medicines, but in case if you’re looking for inexpensive and natural remedy to treat yeast infection then tea tree oil is one among them. Tea tree oil for yeast infection works great because of its anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Don’t confuse with common tea plant used to make black and green teas. This is an essential oil that is derived from leaves of tea tree plant. When topically applied, this oil can treat moderate acne, fungal infection, scabies and athlete’s foot.
Also read: Tea tree oil for acne
How Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection Works?
- A study carried out in 2006 by Francesca Mondello, documented that tea tree oil showed positive result on treating yeast infection in rats.
- Another study concludes that properties in tea tree essential oil acts as anticandidal. (Candida is yeast behind this infection.) (1)
- It’s packed with antibacterial, anti fungal and antimicrobial agents which thwarts infection causing fungi and enhances healing process.
- Skin experts suggests, along with this natural remedies you need to look at underlying causes of yeast growth like avoid sugar in diet as candida feeds on sugar etc…
- Concentrated tea tree oil may be dangerous, dilute it with other essential oil for topical application.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid using tea tree oil. You can try apple cider vinegar for yeast infection after consulting doctor.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection?
Concentrated tea tree oil can sting and burn sensitive areas. Mix it with carrier oil (olive oil, castor oil) to make dilute tea tree oil.
- Drench tampon in the oil mixture and insert into the vagina at night.
- You can also try store-bought tea tree oil or suppositories to mix.
- Doctors don’t recommend douching, as this may destroy microflora in vagina.
- Some prefer to mix few drops of tea tree to hot bath water.
Tea tree oil bath for yeast infection
Step 1: Fill the bath tub with enough water.
Step 2: Blend 3 drops of tea tree oil with 1 tbsp of carrier oil or vegetable oil.
Step 3: Stir thoroughly.
Step 4: Sit in the bath tub for about 10 – 15 minutes.
Tea tree oil douche is not recommended by doctors.
Consult your Doctor before trying any of the remedies. Though it relives from vigorous itching, tea tree oil show no scientific proof in treating yeast infection. Did you ever tired tea tree oil for yeast infection, please share your views in comments. Alternatively you can consume yogurt to treat yeast infection.
Image source 1