Redness on cheeks, nose, swelling, large inflamed flare-ups, and spider veins are common signs of rosacea. Read this article to know how lavender oil for rosacea works.
Modern science believes that there is no permanent cure for this ailment and the person will experience red flare-ups on and off for the rest of his life.
Fortunately, few anecdotal reports claim that essential oils like eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, and lavender oil can treat rosacea effectively.
Unlike acne, severe signs of rosacea can be seen in the 30s or 40s. Approximately 10 percent of the population is affected by this skin ailment.
Apart from check, nose, and forehead, redness can be spread to ears, chest, and back. Hereditary, immune system, a bug infection in the intestine or a protein triggers this ailment. (1)
Jump to: How to Use
Why is Lavender Oil good for Rosacea?
Chronic skin ailments like acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea can’t be cured completely. Along with these natural remedies or steroid creams, you must change your lifestyle to avoid substances that may trigger these ailments.
Lavender oil is renowned for its aromatic and calming effect. Anti-inflammatory ability of this essential oil can help you to reduce the symptoms of adult acne.
Native to Mediterranean region, lavender essential oil is extensively used in perfumes, medicine, and food. Extracted from flowers and leaves of lavender plant, it can improve your overall health.
- Apart from its anti-inflammatory activity that reduces inflamed flare-ups, antiseptic and healing ability exhibited by this oil can help to get rid of scaly patches.
- Unlike cosmetic creams, lavender oil penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin to enhance its functioning.
- Its calming ability helps to reduce stress, which is one of the main triggers of rosacea.
- Itching, burning sensation, dry scaly skin and acne-like breakouts can be reduced by its moisturizing ability.
- Redness over cheeks, nose, and forehead can also be reduced by regular application of lavender essential oil.
- The assorted nutritional ability of essential oils is capable of balancing hormones and can efficiently manage root causes of rosacea.
Why shouldn’t I go with media promoted cosmetic creams?
I personally used these steroid creams to treat skin infection and they worked. But regular application of these creams made my skin sensitive and itching triggered within few weeks.
On the other side, natural remedies may not show you instant results. But, they fight with the root cause of the ailment and make sure your skin is smooth and supple.
Even dermatologists warn from repeated use of chemical filled creams. (2)
However, few cosmetic manufacturers already started incorporating natural extracts to their products. You can use them after consulting with your physician.
How to Use Lavender Oil for Rosacea?
High concentration of essential oil may irritate your sensitive skin. Beauty experts recommend blending water or carrier oil with an essential oil before topical application.
Anyway, for active rosacea flare-ups, you can use lavender essential oil as a spot treatment without diluting.
To make sure, your skin isn’t allergic to lavender oil, patch test before applying it to the face.
#1 Lavender Oil and Olive Oil
Bothe oils are renowned for their healing and moisturizing abilities. Wash your face with water to cleanse impurities and dead cells piled over the skin.
- Blend 14 drops of lavender essential oil with ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Evenly massage the mixed oil over prewashed face and leave it to dry naturally.
- This face mask will reduce inflammation and nourish your skin.
#2 Distilled Water and Lavender Oil
As mentioned high concentration of lavender oil may irritate your skin. So, it’s best to dilute the lavender oil with the required amount of distilled water.
Patch test on small part of the skin to make sure you aren’t allergic to its ingredients.
#3 Coconut Oil and Lavender Oil to Treat Rosacea
This home available oil can be mixed with lavender essential oil to dilute it.
- Wash rosacea-affected skin with water and pat dry using a soft cloth.
- Mix 3 drops of lavender oil with the required amount of coconut oil and apply it over the face.
- Leave it to dry naturally.
Apply the oil before going to bed.
#4 Hot Water and Lavender Oil (Facial Steam)
Facial steams are great for your skin. I try this home remedy twice or thrice in a week.
My skin feels great and all impurities get cleansed.
- Boil water in a bowl till you see steam.
- Drop 2-3 drops of lavender oil in the hot water and hold your face over the steam.
- If you’re trying this for the first time, then take regular intervals by moving off the steam.
- Make sure you don’t burn your skin with hot water.
#5 Honey and Lavender Oil for Rosacea
To pamper your skin, blend raw honey with lavender oil. Healing, antibacterial and moisturizing benefits of honey are well known. Like lavender oil, you can just massage raw honey to treat rosacea.
But, to make it more effective you can blend these both ingredients.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey with 3 drops of lavender oil.
- Also, add 1 drop of tea tree oil for extra boost.
- Stir well and apply the mask over prewashed face. (3)
#6 Witch Hazel and Lavender Oil (Oily Skin)
This refreshing facial mist will help you to treat chronic skin ailments and remove excess oil from your face.
To make this, blend 1 cup of distilled water with 1 teaspoon of witch hazel and 5 drops of lavender oil. Pour all ingredients into the spray bottle and spray on your face regularly after shaking well. (4)
#7 Jojoba Oil and Lavender Oil
Jojoba oil resembles your skin’s natural oil sebum. This liquid wax can trick your skin to produce less sebum and reduce oiliness.
To make your rosacea treatment effective, blend 1 ounce of jojoba oil with 10 drops of lavender oil. (5)
Note: All DIY remedies listed above may or may not work for all. Patch test and go with the one which is best for your skin type.
To reap all nutritional benefits of lavender oil, you can apply it directly as mentioned above, as a room spritzer and expose your face to steam mixed with lavender oil.
- Don’t expect overnight results, instant results are often temporary.
- Along with regular application of this innate ingredient, change your lifestyle.
- Avoid foods that can trigger the rosacea, which include liver, chocolate, avocados, spinach, spicy food, and yogurt. (Source)
- Stay away from chemical filled creams; even they can trigger the ailment.
- Consult a doctor if the problem persists.
Did you ever use lavender oil for rosacea? Share your views in comments.