Dead cells, shaving, chemical based deodorants and hormonal imbalance are few factors that make your underarms dark. Fortunately, coconut oil for dark underarms is one of the many ways to lighten this discolored skin.
It might be surprising that how I can use coconut oil for underarm whitening. Moisturizing and exfoliating ability of this home available ingredient make it work.
Why Do My Armpits Get Dark?
As mentioned above, there are many causes of dark underarms.
- Shaving cuts the hair just below the surface of the skin and the darker color of hair makes skin look dark. For this waxing or plucking hair can be the solution.
- The second cause is dead cells, which are accumulated over the skin. Exfoliating is the best way to cleanse them.
- Consuming too much of wrong diet may result in Acanthosis Nigricans. This disorder turns your neck, groin area and underarms dark.
- Deodorants and hyperpigmentation are also main causes of dark armpits. (Source)
Why Coconut Oil Is Good for Dark Underarms?
Known for its therapeutic properties, coconut oil can be used internally and topically to reap its nutrients.
- The moisturizing ability of this edible oil can help to get rid of itching and dry skin. Dark marks, scars and other disorders in underarms can be eliminated by this natural remedy.
- The anti-inflammatory property of virgin coconut oil can reduce inflammation triggered by various skin ailments. A study backs the use of coconut oil to reduce eczema and psoriasis.
- The exfoliating activity of this oil can help to cleanse dead cells and impurities piled in underarms. You can also use it to wipe impurities on the body.
- Toxins and free radicals damage cell membrane; antioxidant agents in coconut oil will thwart them out.
- Healing ability of the oil fastens the healing process and lightens the appearance of dark underarms.
- With SPF 4, coconut oil protects your skin from sun rays, minor sunburns and reduces redness.
- Vitamin E residing in coconut oil can nourish skin and rehydrate the skin under armpits.
- Antibacterial agents restrain infectious germs and help to avoid odor.
- Assorted vitamins and minerals help to make the skin supple and wrinkle-free.
Note: Use coconut oil underarms before going to bed. Don’t use it in the morning; else it leaves stains on your clothes.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Dark Underarms?
Below listed are different ways to use coconut oil to lighten dark underarms.
#1 Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for Armpits
This is the easiest way, wash your underarms with mild soap to cleanse dead cells and wipe infectious germs.
Take extra virgin coconut oil and massage gently into armpits until the oil is completely absorbed. Start with a small amount to avoid greasiness.
Try this recipe twice regularly.
#2 Coconut Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is renowned for skin whitening and to maintain pH balance in the skin. Diluting it with coconut oil will make the recipe effective.
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix with required amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Cleanse underarms with mild soap and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Apply the mixture to underarms and leave it dry.
- You can rinse it off with mild soap to remove the oil.
#3 Corn Flour, Baking Soda and Coconut Oil for Underarm Whitening
These 3 ingredients are prominent to lighten the appearance of dark patches on the skin. However, baking soda can irritate sensitive skin. Limit its use if you experience any adverse reaction.
- Blend 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil with ½ teaspoon of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of corn flour and 2 tablespoons of raw milk.
- Apply the mixed solution under the armpits after cleansing.
- After 20 minutes, rinse it off with water.
#4 Rose water, Gram Flour, Turmeric powder and Coconut Oil
Hydrating and the moisturizing ability of these ingredients can lighten dark armpits. Antiseptic and antibacterial activity of turmeric powder will help to get rid of body odor.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with a ¼ teaspoon of coconut oil, ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of rose water.
- You can replace rose water with distilled water.
- Apply the mixed mask on prewashed underarms.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with water.
Gram flour is an excellent remedy to remove dead cells and impurities.
Also read: How to use coconut oil to whiten skin
#5 Baking Soda and Coconut Oil for Dark Underarms
As mentioned above, baking soda is great for skin. It can exfoliate, remove dead cells, lighten the appearance of dark patches and balance pH on the skin.
Start with a small quantity, as baking soda may irritate your skin.
- Mix coconut oil and baking soda in required amount.
- Gently massage or scrub underarms regularly.
- Leave for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
#6 Coconut Oil and Sugar
Sugar has fine particles, which helps to remove dead cells.
- You can mix sugar with coconut oil and massage gently.
- If coconut oil is in the solid state, heat it slightly and add sugar.
- After cooling, massage gently as mentioned above.
#7 Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice for Dark Underarms
Bleaching property of lemon juice is renowned. Anti-bacterial property of lemon juice will restrain bacterial infection and avoid odor.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil.
- Wash your armpits and pat dry.
- Now, massage with the mixture after few minutes.
- Rinse it off after 20 minutes.
Avoid lemon juice if you have cuts or injuries.
You can also blend essential oil with coconut oil to lighten dark armpits. Bergamot oil, carrot seed oil, mandarin oil, lemon oil and galbanum oil are few of them.
Homemade Deodorant with Coconut Oil
Chemical filled deodorants may irritate your skin, resulting in itching and dark underarms. Natural ingredients are inexpensive and are more effective.
- Extra virgin coconut oil – ½ cup
- Baking soda – ½ cup
- Any essential oil – 40-60 drops (lavender oil or sage oil recommended)
You’ll also need an empty container to store this natural deodorant.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and shift them to the container. Use it and enjoy! Source
Coconut Oil Shaving Gel
Instead of shaving creams, you can also use coconut oil. This enables smooth and close shave.
It also prevents razor burns and prevents ingrown hair.
Before shaving, apply coconut oil underarms or on the skin. Shave, wash with water and pat dry.
Tips to Avoid Dark Underarms
Preventing is better than cure.
- Well, same goes with this too. If you didn’t skip initial paragraphs, you might have known that there are several factors that result in dark underarms.
- Your overall healthy and nutritious diet also plays a vital role in glowing skin.
- Avoid chemical filled creams and deodorants.
- Don’t wear clothes that may irritate your skin and triggers itching.
- Exfoliate regularly to avoid accumulation of dead cells.
- Before using medications, consult a doctor. Few medications may turn your skin dark.
- Drink enough water and ingest vitamin rich diet.
- To avoid dark underarms, stop shaving and start waxing or plucking.
Did you ever use coconut oil for dark underarms? Share your views in comments.
2 thoughts on “Coconut Oil for Dark Underarms – 7 DIY Recipes Included”
Is this also good for around the neck area?
Yes, you can use it get rid of dark neck.