A pimple is a nightmare for teenagers, as they ruin physical appearance and may impact social life. Luckily, there is a huge list of remedies and baking soda is one of them. (1)
This home available remedy is used for household works. How to get rid of pimples with baking soda?
Baking soda aka sodium bicarbonate has a gamut of medical uses.
This fine white colored powder has been used in many ways since 1800. In ancient Egypt, baking soda was used in soap and to preserve fish.
Of course, even now we include baking soda as an ingredient in many products like toothpaste, personal care items, to neutralize batteries and in food.
Still, we’re leaving behind lots of nutritional values of baking soda by not using it as a home remedy to treat ailments.
Jump to: How to use
Is Baking Soda Good for Pimples?
Before knowing its benefits, let’s dwell into main causes of pimples.
Pimples on face are caused due to 3 main reasons,
- Excess oil production
- Accumulation of dead cells on pores
- Bacterial infection
Due to hormonal imbalance, sebaceous glands release excess sebum that clogs skin pores. Along with this, your skin also sheds dead cells that pile over the skin forming a bump like structure.
P.acnes bacteria feed on sebum and dead cells to trigger infection.
- Bacteria over the skin need an acidic environment to multiply. Alkaline nature of baking soda helps to inhibit bacterial growth and avoid pimples.
- The exfoliating ability of baking soda removes excess sebum and dead cells accumulated over the skin.
- pH imbalance is one of the main causes of pimples. Amphoteric property of this inexpensive product neutralizes pH of the skin. (2)
- Anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties exhibited by baking soda can help to treat pimples and lighten its appearance.
- Cleansing ability of this ingredient prevents clogging of skin pores and removes excess sebum.
- It’s absorbing ability helps to remove excess oil from the skin.
- Topical application of baking soda will make your skin bright and pimple free.
- Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of baking soda will help to reduce the size of a pimple and restrain further infection.
Also read: Argan Oil to treat Acne
How to Get Rid of Pimples with Baking Soda?
If you’ve sensitive skin then be careful using baking soda, excess use can strip natural oils leaving your skin dry.
Test on a small patch of the skin before applying it over the face. Repeated use of baking soda may irritate your sensitive skin and lead to infection.
Experts recommend using no more than twice per week on the skin.
Method #1 (Spot Treatment)
For spot treatment, mix 1-2 tablespoons (tbsp) of baking soda with 1-2 tbsp of water.
Wash your face and pat dry using a soft cloth. Apply the baking soda mixture on the affected part. Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse off with water.
If a pimple is open, this application could sting little.
Method #2 (Face Mask)
- Make a paste of 3 tbsp of baking soda and 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to it.
- Cleanse your face or expose it to steam. So that blocked skin pores opens up.
- Pat dry and apply a lighter layer of this face mask on your face.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes then rinse it off with water.
- The mixture may slightly sting and may leave your face red but don’t worry it will fade shortly.
If the problem persists, avoid using baking soda.
Antibacterial, acidic and bleaching properties of lemon juice can help to thwart infectious bacteria.
Try this homemade face mask recipe 2 twice per week and don’t forget to moisturize after face mask application.
Method #3 (Exfoliator)
As mentioned above, excess sebum and dead cells pile over the face and block skin pores.
The exfoliating ability of baking soda help to remove these impurities and unclog skin pores.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture of baking soda and water to form a smooth
- Damp your face with water and apply this paste.
- Massage gently in circular motion to exfoliate the skin, rinse off with water.
Method #4 (Bath Soak)
If you’ve acne scars on your body then try this baking soda bath soak remedy. Mix a half cup of baking soda to warm water, using your hand mix it well. Hop into the bathtub and stay there for 15 minutes then rinse off under the shower.
Optionally, add ½ cup of Epsom salt to the bath tub.
Method #5 (Baking Soda and Honey)
Honey is prominent to treat various skin and health ailments. Anti-inflammatory ability of raw honey can reduce pimples and also moisturizes it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of raw honey with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix thoroughly and apply the mask over affected skin in circular motion.
- After 10-15 minutes, rinse it off with water.
You can skip olive oil and mix honey with baking soda to get rid of pimples.
Method #6 (Hydrogen peroxide)
Not suitable for sensitive skin.
This chemical peel can effectively treat acne and cleanse impurities off the skin.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix thoroughly and apply it over prewashed face.
- After 10 minutes, rinse it off with water.
You can use this recipe as a spot treatment on pimples.
Method#7 (Apple Cider Vinegar)
ACV is obtained by double fermentation of apples. Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties are packed in ACV.
It thwarts free radicals, maintains pH of the skin and reduces the appearance of acne scars.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of ACV with 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Apply this mask over prewashed face and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Also, add 1 tablespoon of distilled water to dilute the solution.
- Though applying baking soda can help to get rid of pimples and remove acne scars excess application dries your skin.
- So, it’s recommended to apply the moisturizing cream after using baking
- Drink plenty of water and juices to keep your skin well hydrated.
- Avoid stress and stay away from harmful chemical incorporated creams.
- Foods that trigger pimples must be avoided, which include chocolate, spicy foods, milk, coffee, sodas, and alcohol.