Yeast infection is associated with vigorous itching and swelling. Yeast is nothing but a fungus living in vagina in small number. The good bacteria restrain yeast growth, thus maintaining a healthy environment. But when this good bacteria start decreasing because of antibiotics or poor diet, yeast start growing triggering infection.
In a study carried out in 2009 it’s stated that, oil of oregano for yeast infection is the best remedy compared to tea tree oil. The study further states that anti-fungal compound in oregano inhibits Candida yeast. (1)
Oregano oil is derived from wild or common oregano. Dried oregano is extensively use for culinary purpose. It’s strong enough to numb your tongue. So, experts recommend diluting it by blending carrier or essential oil with oregano oil before application. Wikipedia mentions, Hippocrates used oregano as antiseptic and to cure stomach and respiratory problems.
How Oil of Oregano for Yeast Infection Works?
Though there are few researches which proved its ability to treat Candidiasis, still scientifically proofs are lacking to back these studies.
- Oregano is an herb packed with high amounts of antioxidants. Antioxidants inhibits free radicals in cell and enhances its ability to fight infection.(2)
- Two antimicrobial components namely carvacrol and thymol in this oil are able to fight infection causing bacteria. (3)
- Anti-inflammatory properties in oil of oregano reduce yeast inflammation. (4)
- As oregano oil is natural, chances of experiencing side-effects are very low.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Yeast Infection?
Natural oregano oil is very strong to use it straight away. Blend it with carrier oil or essential oil before trying. You can get it from local drug store.
- You can consume it by dropping 2-3 drops in a glass of water daily.
- Mix it in your bath tub before taking bath.
- To make vagina douche, University of Maryland Medical Center suggests that, mix 1 tbsp of oregano, goldenseal root and echinacea in 2 cups of water.
As oregano oil is not approved by FDA to treat yeast infection. So we recommend consulting doctor before trying.
Related post: Yogurt for treating candida yeast
How to Make Oregano Oil at Home?
Oil of oregano for treating yeast infection is available in oil as well as capsules form in stores. Anyhow, you can make your own oregano oil using essential oil and Origanum vulgare. The recipe which involves oregano leaves will be discussed here.