This essential oil is renowned for its healing, anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce most chronic skin ailments. Chamomile oil for eczema is one of the excellent home remedy that you can try right away.
Also known as dermatitis, eczema is a term of several skin swelling ailments. About 30 percent of US population is affected by this chronic skin ailment. Mere cause of this ailment is unknown, but researchers hold stress, genetics and external irritants to trigger eczema condition. (1)
How it Starts?
People who experienced eczema know that it is accompanied by itching, dry skin and inflamed flare-ups. You knew that your skin is surrounded by natural moisture that protects it from various ailments. External and internal factors strip this protective layer resulting in dry itchy skin.
Though it’s embarrassing, you can’t resist from scratching. Initially you’ll feel relaxed while scratching, but with few seconds inflammation and pain commence. Steroid creams and other medication can relieve this disorder, but itching starts when your skin is exposed to irritants.
So, applying natural remedy like chamomile essential oil will be handy and unlike steroid creams it will make your skin supple.
Related: Chamomile face mask
Benefits of Chamomile Oil for Eczema
- Cleansing activity of this oil helps to wipe dry scaly skin patches from the skin and antioxidant agents restrain free radicals that damage cell membrane.
- As mentioned, dry skin is one of the main causes of itching; topical application of this oil will hydrate the skin and refrain scratching.
- Mitigating and antioxidant agents housed in the oil are known to relieve eczema irritation.
- Antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties restrain infection on eczema flare-ups, wounds and minor injuries.
- Healing ability of this essential oil helps to fasten the healing process of eczema bumps.
- Apply chamomile oil or consume tea made by dry chamomile flowers; assorted nutrients in the oil will lighten your complexion and helps to obtain radiant skin.
- Because it cleanses all impurities from the skin, vitamins and essential minerals in the oil can easily penetrate deep into it.
These enticing nutrients of chamomile oil attracted many cosmetic industries. You can check the ingredients list for chamomile extracts on prominent beauty products.
Related: Rosemary oil for eczema
How to Use Chamomile Oil to Treat Eczema?
Its calming effect is known to reduce stress, anxiety and depression, while its assorted nutrients reduce eczema symptoms.
- Cleanse the affected part with water and pat dry using soft cloth.
- Blend chamomile essential oil with any other carrier oil to dilute it.
- Using your clean fingers or cotton ball, evenly apply the oil on eczema affected skin.
- Let the oil dry naturally.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice in a week, depending on eczema flare-ups.
Oils that you can mix with chamomile oil are lavender, geranium, clary sage, rose, coconut oil and jojoba oil.
Note: Patch test before using chamomile oil on skin. In hypersensitive people it can trigger infection.
Medicines of diabetes and other health ailments react with chamomile, so you must check with your physician before consuming chamomile.
Chamomile oil for eczema can be an effective remedy only if you change your lifestyle. Avoid wearing clothes, food, drinks and creams that can irritate your skin. Drink enough water to hydrate the skin from inside and to remove toxins from the body.