Dry scaly patches with inflamed swollen bumps are seen over different parts of the body in psoriasis affected people. In this article you’ll learn how to use flaxseed oil for psoriasis.
Though there are many medicines and home remedies to treat psoriasis, experts say you can’t treat this chronic skin ailment permanently.
Don’t worry; you can reduce its symptoms using various remedies.
Researchers are unknown about the master switch that triggers psoriasis. Genetics, environmental factors, diet and stress are accounted for symptoms of this skin ailment. (Source: Medicinenet.com)
How Do You Get Psoriasis of the Skin?
Due to these factors, your body starts building new cells at a rapid rate. As skin fails to shed cells because of this accelerated growth, so dead cells buildup forming scaly patches.
Why Flaxseed Oil for Psoriasis?
According to some researchers, flaxseed oil has same beneficiary properties like that of fish oil. (Source: University of Maryland Medical Center)
Because of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids, flaxseed oil is extensively used in treating major health issues like cholesterol, diabetes, cardiovascular issues, digestive problems and cancer.
- Alpha-linolenic acid an essential fatty acids residing in this oil can reduce inflammation and hydrate dry scaly patches.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids exhibit anti-inflammatory properties.
- Studies prove that internal consumption of fish oil (that has polyunsaturated fatty acids like flaxseed oil) can reduce psoriasis symptoms. (Source: ajcn.nutrition.org)
- Vitamin C housed in this innate ingredient can enhance collagen production and prevent aging wrinkles.
- Lignans in the oil show antioxidant activity.
- You can topically apply its oil or ingest flaxseed to improve your overall health.
One study backs internal consumption of flaxseeds helped to treat psoriasis condition.
As this natural remedy isn’t associated with any side-effects, you can give it a try.
How to Use Flaxseed Oil to Treat Psoriasis?
Let me remind you once again, you can’t permanently treat this chronic skin ailment. You must always avoid irritants that can irritate your skin.
A case study states that regular consumption of 3 tablespoons of flaxseeds helped to reduce psoriasis.
Another case study backs topical application.
Don’t go by my words; test yourself, because what works for me may not work for you.
But, make sure you aren’t allergic to flaxseed oil.
- Wash the psoriasis affected skin with water and pat dry.
- Avoid scratching or rubbing hard and hot water.
- Take required amount of flaxseed oil and apply gently over the scaly patches.
- Leave it to dry naturally and rinse it off.
Best time to try this simple home recipe is before going to bed.
Important: If you prefer to use internally, then grind flaxseeds and mix the powder with warm water to ingest. To Topical application experts prefer flaxseed oil.
Flaxseed Oil with Avocado Oil
Nutritional benefits of these two oils will help to improve your skin functioning and obtain flawless skin.
Initially, apply flaxseed oil over prewashed skin and then immediately apply avocado oil for easy penetration.
This combination will treat eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin and dry skin.
Homemade Flaxseed and Raw Honey Face Mask
To make it more effective, blend other natural ingredients.
Blend 3 tablespoon of finely grounded flaxseeds and mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey to it.
Optionally, mix ¼ cup of warm water and apply the mask over prewashed face.
Did you ever use flaxseed oil for psoriasis? Please share your recipe in comments.