Most of the world’s population is suffering from different types of skin related problems. With every passing year, these skin problems are getting more and more common. There are different reasons behind skin problems like acne, ulcer, warts, pimples, rosacea and other skin infections.
Factors like lethargic lifestyle, unhealthy diet, polluted water and environment are responsible for most of the skin diseases. Some skin diseases like psoriasis also occur due to genetics and weak immune system.
This article will discuss a prevalent and not so dangerous skin condition- Rosacea. After going through this article, you will be able to understand appropriately about Rosacea and its causes.
We will discuss in detail about honey for rosacea. How honey is very useful to get rid of rosacea, how to use honey with different other ingredients to increase its effectiveness. In the end, we will also discuss ‘How to prevent rosacea’. Let’s have a go at the causes of rosacea first.
What Causes and Who Gets Rosacea?
Before understanding the causes of rosacea, we should have a brief idea about rosacea. What is actually rosacea? Rosacea is actually a prevalent skin condition and can happen to anyone. In rosacea, the skin of the face (generally both cheeks) gets ferociously red, even the blood vessels under the skin become visible.
You can easily get confused between rosacea, rosy cheeks, acne and sometimes with sunburn. Rosacea gives different types or sets of symptoms including redness of the face, tiny red pimples, swollen and red eyes, swollen and red nose.
Due to its similar appearance with rosy cheeks, acne and sunburn, most of the time, people don’t give much importance to it, and it converts into the chronic condition. Chronic rosacea can last long for years or maybe for lifelong.
Although there are no exact causes known for rosacea, skin experts believe that it can happen due to hereditary and environmental factors like eating spicy food, constant use of alcohol, presence of bacteria Helicobacter pylori inside the intestine, presence of skin mite Demodex on the skin and the bacteria it carries- bacillus oleronius, overproduction of cathelicidin (a protein responsible for protecting skin).
Also read: How to Use Castor Oil for Rosacea?
Is Honey Good for Rosacea?
The primary purpose of this article is to discuss honey especially manuka honey for rosacea. Why despite being an incurable condition, rosacea can be relieved by using honey for a long time? Let’s have a discussion about the effectiveness of honey in case of rosacea.
- Manuka honey is a type of honey and produced by bees that feed only on flowers of Manuka Plants- native to New Zealand. According to different Natural Therapy experts, Manuka Honey can be a great alternative remedy for rosacea.
- Great Skin Moisturizer: Honey is one of the most common ingredients of almost all beauty products. The reason is its incredible moisturizing properties. Honey moisturizes the skin from deep inside the different layers.
- Pore Cleanser: Antibacterial, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties in honey effectively removes dirt from pores. Due to rosacea, blood vessels get very weak due to persistent dirt in the pores inside the layers of the skin. Honey is useful to repair these blood vessels as well.
- Mild and Gentle Exfoliator: Honey is an excellent exfoliator as well. It gently can remove dead cells from deep down the layers of skin. It also allows new cells to emerge for a radiant complexion.
- Treats Acne: There is a lot of little acne on the skin affected by rosacea. As an antiseptic, honey is very effective to cure acne. By curing acne, it can reduce the inflammation and redness of the affected area and hence can aid the cure of rosacea.
How to Use Honey for Rosacea?
As we have learnt enough about rosacea, honey and how honey is very effective in rosacea, we can increase its effectiveness by using it smartly with other ingredients beneficial for rosacea and skin.
#1 Honey with Buttermilk and Egg Yolk
- Take 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. buttermilk and 1 egg yolk.
- Mix all the ingredients well with a blender.
- Apply it on the skin affected with rosacea.
- Wash properly with lukewarm water.
- Avoid the mixture to contact your eyes.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a week.
Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid which is very good for skin. Using only buttermilk can help you to keep your skin healthy. Egg yolk contains a lot of water and fat.
It is capable of locking moisture into the skin. Using these two with honey can be very effective to decrease the severity of rosacea.
#2 Honey with Baking Soda
- Take 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. baking soda.
- Mix both the ingredients properly with a blender or a spoon.
- You can add a little amount of water for mixing the ingredients properly.
- Apply the mixture on affected area and leave for 2 hours.
- Wash properly with fresh water and dry using a soft cotton cloth.
- Repeat the process every day before having a bath.
Baking soda is very effective to remove pores from the skin. Removing pores can decrease the redness of the skin and hence can reduce rosacea to a decent extent.
Related: How Tea Tree Oil Treats Rosacea?
#3 Honey with Coconut Oil
- Take 1 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp. coconut oil.
- Mix both the ingredients properly with a spoon.
- Apply it thoroughly on the affected area and leave for 10 minutes.
- Wash with fresh water and then pat dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat the process twice a day for great results.
Coconut oil has great antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also a very powerful moisturizer. It can provide protection to the affected area from bacteria and fungi. It can also keep the skin moisturizing.
#4 Lemon Juice and Honey to Treat Rosacea
- Take 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Apply to the affected area using a cotton plug.
- If there is a tear or cut on the skin, take complete precaution that it should not touch the tear or cut.
- Keep the process repeating for 2-3 times a week.
Lemon is an excellent fruit for us. There are a lot of benefits lemon possesses. Whether it is about digestion, getting rid of excess fat, keeping the skin healthy, lemon is very beneficial for overall health. Lemon can reduce the redness and inflammation of the skin affected by rosacea and hence can aid in the process to get rid of rosacea.
#5 Honey with Olive Oil and Coconut Oil
- Take 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. coconut oil.
- Mix them well to make a nice solution.
- Apply properly on the affected area and leave for half an hour.
- Then wash thoroughly with fresh water and pat dry with soft cotton cloth.
- Repeat the process daily for 20 days or until you get rid of rosacea.
Olive oil is one of the oldest and very beneficial oil for human body especially skin. It can help you to get rid of different types of skin related problems including rosacea.
#6 Honey with Shea Butter
- Take 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. shea butter in a bowl.
- Mix both the ingredients properly with a blender.
- Apply on the affected parts properly and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash properly with lukewarm water and then pat dry with a dry cotton cloth.
We have already discussed shea butter previously in detail. Shea butter contains a lot of fat and can be a great emollient and moisturising agent. It’s anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidative properties can help to reduce inflammation as well as damaged cells of the skin.
Tips to Prevent Rosacea:
Rosacea is a common skin condition and can happen to anyone. Getting rid of rosacea can be a bit challenging but preventing rosacea is a lot easier. Apart from using honey for rosacea, you must change your lifestyle.
- Have a healthy and active lifestyle: Different types of skin conditions can be cured with just having a healthy and active lifestyle. Bring some major changes to your meals and add a lot of veggies and other healthy food items. Avoiding spicy food can also be very helpful to get rid of rosacea.
- Consume enough liquid: Water and other fluids can be very handy to keep your body in a better and healthy state. Our body skin gets dried due to lack of enough fluid in the body. Providing enough liquid constantly can very effective to keep the skin diseases like rosacea away from your body.
- Do not use every soap: There are different types of soaps available in the market. You don’t know which type of chemicals are used to prepare a bathing soap. Ask your physician or dermatologist before choosing a block of soap. Doing this can also help you to a decent extent to keep your body free from skin diseases like rosacea.