When we talk about look, beauty, and personality, different types of skin related problems like acne, pimples, premature wrinkles, dark spots etc. spoil everything. Most of the people across the globe are suffering from some annoying skin related problems.
Pigmentation is one of the most important factors behind skin color, and when there is any abnormality in pigmentation, whether it is hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, your skin becomes unhealthy.
In this article, we are going to discuss how to get rid of hyperpigmentation on black skin. We will try to figure out some causes of hyperpigmentation on dark skin. We will also talk about the best ways to get rid of hyperpigmentation on black skin.
You will also be able to learn some possible ways to get rid of hyperpigmentation like natural remedies and different pigmentation treating methods. We are very determined to let you know all about how to get rid of hyperpigmentation. So, we will also encircle some efficient and successful natural remedies to get rid of it along with their recipes as well as benefits.
As we already know care is much better than cure. So, in our last section of the article, we will try to underline some tried and tested tips to improve your overall skin. So, let’s discuss the causes of hyperpigmentation on black skin first.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Melasma Forever Using Natural Remedies?
What Causes Hyperpigmentation on Dark Skin?
Hyperpigmentation is very common in people having dark skin, and there are some common factors responsible behind it. Hyperpigmentation causes darkness of skin, and it can be seen in small patches, cover large areas on the body or may even affect the entire body.
One of the most common factors responsible for hyperpigmentation is genetics. People having ancestors with full dark skin texture or little dark spots on different parts of the body are prone to have the darkness of skin. If we talk mainly about black people, region-based factors are also very much responsible.
Some parts of the world especially African countries and their neighbors are known for having a population with dark skin. The apparent reason behind the darkness here is genetics. Another pervasive factor responsible in these parts of the world is atmospheric temperature. You will observe higher temperatures during almost every part of the year.
Other responsible factors behind hyperpigmentation or darkness of skin are medication, usage of unhealthy and unsuitable skin products, improper diet, unhealthy environment, lack of physical activities, obesity, pregnancy, and different prolonged diseases.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Hyperpigmentation on Dark Skin
Getting rid of hyperpigmentation on dark skin is not something very challenging. By adapting some healthy and easy habits, you can have clear and fair skin with proper tonicity and tanning. There are some excellent natural remedies as well as some very successful pigmentation treating methods. Let’s have a look at some of them.
#1 How to Treat Hyperpigmentation on Black Skin
If you want to reduce hyperpigmentation on black skin quickly and don’t want to wait for results of home remedies, here are some other successful and easy treatments for you.
1. Lightening Creams
There are plethora of lightening creams available in the market. You can easily purchase these creams without spending too much money. Always remember one thing, do not use any cream for your skin before consulting your dermatologist.
It is advised to go through all the ingredients of the cream you are willing to use. And understand all advantages as well as disadvantages (if any) before applying on your skin. Here are some commonly found ingredients of over-the-counter creams (OTC) for hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin B-3 (Niacin amide)
- Licorice Extract
- N-Acetyl glucosamine
Which type of products are better?
- Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel: There is 2% hydroquinone in this geland is really wonderful to get rid of hyperpigmentation and all types of new and dark spots.
- ProActiv Complexion Perfecting Hydrator: If you have oily skin, you should try this wonderful lightening cream. It will help you to get rid of skin inflammation as well as hyperpigmentation without causing any irritation or infection on the skin.
Most of the lightening creams including these two work very well on the flat spots like age spots and melasma. They are very effective in getting rid of all types of discoloration and dark spots as well.
You can apply these creams once or twice in a day to have clear and fair skin. It is again advised to consult an experienced dermatologist before using these products.
Face acids like azelic acid, kojic acid, salicylic acid, I-ascorbic acid, and alpha hydroxy acids like lactic, malic, glycolic, tartaric acidare very good to get rid of darkness of the skin.
These acids work powerfully by shedding or exfoliating the top layer of skin. Exfoliating your skin will help new cells to emerge out on the uppermost dermis layer. There are plenty of acids available in the market. Make sure you purchase OTC creams with less than 10% acidic content.
Which Option is better among Plenty of Acidic OTC Creams?
- ProActiv Mark Correcting Pads: These pads are made using concentrated glycolic and salicylic acids and are very effective to exfoliate your skin as well as to reduce acne scars appearance.
- FAB Skin Lab Resurfacing Liquid: This excellent liquid contains 10% alpha hydroxy acid- mainly malic acid and is very good to improve overall skin health including hyperpigmentation and tonicity of skin. If you are annoyed with large skin pores, this might be very helpful.
- Retinoids: Retinoids are used in most of the OTC skincare products. Derived from Vitamin-A, very small molecular structures of retinoids are very good to penetrate deep into the skin and to treat almost all the layers below the epidermis.
Generally retinoids are used as OTC but are believed to be a little weaker. If you are not satisfied with OTC retinoids, look for retinoid tretinoin after consulting your dermatologist especially if you have dark skin.
Which types of product you can try?
- Pure Biology Anti-Ageing Night Cream: If you are looking to combat age-spots, wrinkles, and dryness, you can try this formula made with hyaluronic acid and retinoids.
- Differin Gel: This retinoid is known for its wonderful effects in case of hyperpigmentation and acne. Consider consulting your dermatologist before starting its usage.
- Chemical Peel: Chemical peels are slightly stronger than any other OTC treatment purely because of higher concentration of acidic ingredients. The chemical peels completely remove epidermis layer and might be slightly painful.
If you are someone who is under sun for regularly for long, it is better not to use chemical peel treatment. These peels can increase your skin’s sensitivity under the sun. Always take extra precaution during using these chemical peels and never ever apply them before getting nod and instructions from your dermatologist.
Which type of chemical peels are better?
- Exuviance Glycolic Acid Peel: This is one of the most popular professional-grade peel which can be used at home as well. Using this peel twice a week should be enough to get rid of hyperpigmentation of dark skin.
- Juicy Beauty Green Apple Peel: All the ingredients used in this peel are organic and is particularly good for sensitive and dark skin.
- Laser Peel (Skin Resurfacing): There are two types of lasers used in this treatment: Ablative and non-ablative. Ablative lasers are slightly painful and intense because they remove the layers of the skin. Non-ablative lasers are much better especially if you have sensitive skin because the target of using non-ablative lasers is to target dermis layer to promote collagen growth.
Ablative lasers are very powerful and there are some side effects associated with them as well. If you have dark skin, only ablative laser is going to be successful. Think a dozen of times before going for any of these two treatments.
#2 Natural Ways to Clear Hyperpigmentation on Black Skin
Using natural methods for any skin condition is good not only because of effectiveness, but due to the safety of your skin as well. Here is a list of some excellent natural remedies for hyperpigmentation of dark skin with their benefits as well as some highly effective recipes. More often than not, these methods are going to be very effective as well as heathy for your skin unless you are suffering from chronic sensitivity of skin.
Using lemon is one of the best, affordable and easiest ways to get rid of hyperpigmentation.
- It is a very common ingredient and is easily available in most of the kitchens.
- Lemon contains plenty of citric acid which works as an excellent bleach.
- Drinking lemon juice or rubbing it on your dark spots might be an excellent home treatment for dark skin.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
We can call ACV “a miracle” for skin. That’s how effective it is in most of the skin related problems. Its powerful skin lightening and astringent properties are very helpful to reduce hyperpigmentation of any type of skin.
Whether it is about small patches or large patches even covering all the body, ACV works wonder to give you spotless and fair skin.
Curcumin is the active ingredient of turmeric which is an excellent bleach. Bleaching properties of turmeric can be very helpful to get rid of hyperpigmentation.
In addition, it will also keep your skin free from most of the skin infections.
Related post: How to Use Turmeric for Melasma?
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera juice is a magical juice for health especially skin. It is capable of combating almost all types of skin related problems.
Mucilaginous Polysaccharides of aloe vera gel makes it excellent for hyperpigmentation. It is very good to promote regeneration of new skin cells as well.
5. Raw Potato
Raw potato is another very common as well as affordable vegetable you will easily find in almost every kitchen. It works very well to lighten hyper-pigmented skin.
Moreover, it is excellent to get rid of other skin spots and blemishes thanks to catecholase enzyme.
6. Baking Soda
Baking Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate is an excellent remedy for reducing hyperpigmentation. There are plenty of skin related benefits of baking soda. Being a wonderful skin exfoliator, it is capable of removing dead cells from the skin layers and assisting the formation of new cells.
- You can use baking soda for skin in plenty of different ways and with different ingredients.
- Add 2 tbsp. sodium bicarbonate to half cup of water.
- Mix well and prepare a fine paste.
- Keep aside for a while and wait until the bubble formation is stopped.
- Apply on the hyper-pigmented skin and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process two times a week until you get rid of dark spots.
- You can adjust the quantity according to your requirements.
7. Orange Juice
Being an acidic fruit, orange is highly recommended for most of the skin related problems. Acidic properties of orange juice are very good to maintain p H levels of skin. It is also very effective to improve collagen production thanks to presence of vitamin-C.
- Squeeze half cup fresh orange juice.
- Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply on the affected skin and leave for 1 hour.
- Wash with fresh water and pat dry using soft cloth.
- Keep repeating on alternate days for 1 month or until you get rid of dark spots.
- You can even drink 1 glass of tangy orange juice thrice a week.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another excellent home remedy for all types of skin related problems. In addition to having excellent antifungal and antibacterial properties, coconut oil is a very good skin moisturizer as well. Applying it on the body is going to keep most of the skin problems at bay.
- Take half cup of organic coconut oil and add ½ tbsp. sandalwood oil.
- Mix both oils well and apply properly on the dark spots.
- Keep the mixture on for 1 hour.
- Wash off with fresh water using a mild body soap and pat dry.
- Use coconut oil for body message regularly to get rid of hyperpigmentation.
Honey is not only known for getting rid of excessive body fat, it is an excellent home remedy for skin whitening as well thanks to the presence of large number of antioxidants. Using honey can also be very helpful to reduce skin infection and irritation. If you use honey constantly, you will also be successful to reduce the sensitivity of your skin as well
- You can simply apply pure honey on the skin.
- To reduce its thickness, add 1/4th part of distilled water.
- Mix 4 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. distilled water.
- Apply on the affected areas and leave for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use only lukewarm water for washing to get rid of stickiness of honey.
- Pat dry and apply gentle moisturizer.
- Repeat the process twice a week for 2 months.
10. Lemon Juice
Where there is skin problem, there is lemon. That’s how the lemon is used for getting rid of skin related problems. Being a wonderful skin bleach, it can assist you immensely in your journey to get rid of dark spots from your body.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 medium sized lemons in a bowl.
- Soak a cotton plug or any other soft cloth piece with lemon juice.
- Apply gently on the hyper-pigmented area and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry using soft cloth.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer.
- Follow the process twice or thrice a week for 2 months.
11. Egg Yolk
Face mask of egg yolk is very effective to get rid of problems like pimples, acne, blemishes and wrinkles. Dryness of skin can also cause dark spots and thanks to the presence of water and fats, egg yolk is capable of locking moisture in skin cells. It is also very effective in getting rid of dead cells and helping in production of new cells.
- Take 3 egg yolks and add 2 drops of olive oil.
- Mix both the ingredients very well.
- Apply on the dark spots and leave for an hour.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Apply a gentle skin moisturizer.
- Repeat it on alternate days for 2 months.
Banana is very good at promoting natural skin color thanks to the presence of potassium and vitamin E and C in it. Using banana for skin is very effective to slow down the ageing process as well.
- Mash one banana properly and add 1 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix well and prepare a fine paste.
- Apply on the hyper-pigmented skin.
- Keep it on for 40 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Apply glycerin or other supple moisturizer.
- Repeat the process daily for 1 month.
13. Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the best oils for skin thanks to its antibacterial, exfoliating, antioxidant, and moisturizing Applying it on any skin regularly should be enough to get rid of all types of skin problems including hyperpigmentation.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Apply olive oil evenly on your face.
- Allow it to dry naturally for 15-20 minutes.
Lactic acid of yogurt is an excellent element for skin related problems. It is capable of improving skin color as well as tonicity. Yogurt is very good at for anti-ageing treatment as well as getting rid of wrinkles.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to 4 tbsp. fresh yogurt.
- Mix well and apply on dark spots.
- Leave for 30 minutes and wash off with fresh water.
- Repeat the process three time a week for 2 months.
15. Castor Oil
If you want to keep your skin moisturized, castor oil might be an excellent option. Fatty acids of castor oil are very good at penetrating the skin and repairing skin cells damage caused due to hyperpigmentation.
If possible, use castor oil regularly for simple topical application.
Presence of Caffeic acid and vitamin-C makes cucumber one of the best veggie for skin. High concentration of water can keep your skin moisturized for very long. It is also very good to reduce inflammation and irritation of the skin.
- Cut half cucumber into small pieces.
- Mash very well to make paste like structure.
- Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply on the affected areas and leave for half an hour.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow the procedure twice a week for 2 months.
17. Rose Water
Rose water is not less than a blessing for skin thanks to its skin glowing and anti-inflammatory It is a common solution to plenty of skin related problems including dermatitis, acne, pimples, and hyperpigmentation. Its regular application can be very handy to reduce dark spots from your body.
Apply rose water daily on whole body or hyper-pigmented skin after having a bath.
Important Tips to Improve Your Skin
- Add green vegetables in your daily diet.
- Avoid junk food as much as possible.
- Always keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
- Try to do physical exercise at least four days a week.
- Have a bath daily or at least on alternate days.
- Don’t use unknown soap, cream or other skin related products.
- Consult your dermatologist on regular basis.
- Try to avoid makeup as much as possible. If you are wearing makeup, get rid of it before going to sleep.
- Wear loose and soft cloths so that your skin can feel better.
- Try to cover your body when you are going out.