You may not realize but you smeared cocoa butter over your skin many times. Not just delicious chocolates, cosmetic industries incorporate this meltable oil. Cocoa butter for stretch marks is one among the renowned natural remedies.
Extensively used in all type of chocolates this edible vegetable fat is extracted from the cocoa bean. The moisturizing activity of this pale-yellow fat can fade linear marks.
But, how can a substance that is used to allure taste buds help to get rid of stretch marks?
What Causes Stretch Marks?
As you grow, connecting fibers under the skin stretch slowly. But, with sudden growth due to puberty, pregnancy or weight gain, these fibers overstretch and tear at several places.
Initially, this breakage can be seen over the skin in purple or red colored lines. However, with time they turn silver white. (1)
It’s a bitter truth that you can’t permanently treat stretch marks. Anyhow, experts say that with time and topical application of creams you can lighten their appearance.
Also read: How to use vitamin C to fade stretch marks
How Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks Works?
A study was carried out with 210 women, out of which 175 completed the study, which concludes that topical application of cocoa butter didn’t show any significant change than placebo lotion. (2)
So shall I stop here?
Beauty experts say that it’s no harming in using it because nutritional benefits of this natural ingredient are enticing.
- The hydrating ability of cocoa butter improves your skin’s ability to stretch without tearing.
- Prominent healing properties present in it can help to heal stretch marks and fade its appearance over the skin.
- Antioxidant agents help to thwart free radicals that damage skin cell membrane.
- Polyphenols are type compound present in cocoa butter, which can improve the elasticity of the skin, enhance collagen production and promote healing of rashes and stretch marks.
- Fatty acids packed in cocoa butter are known to deeply moisturize the skin and lighten the appearance of stretch marks.
Regularly massage cocoa butter in circular motion to improve the elasticity of the skin and make it more pliable.
How to Use Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks?
Beauty experts recommend going with unrefined, pure cocoa butter, which doesn’t include any chemical preservatives and fragrances.
Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
Hormones are released during pregnancy to soften the ligaments and connective fibers making them prone to stretch marks.
Thighs, breast or tummy are common places where you’ll see these linear lines. According to official reports, 8 out of 10 women get stretch marks during pregnancy. (3)
- Place pure cocoa butter jar in hot water. (Because it is solid at room temperature)
- Wash your skin to remove impurities and apply the cocoa butter evenly in circular
- Regular application prior to stretch marks is recommended.
Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Almond Oil
To make it more effective, you can blend other natural ingredients. Vitamins and minerals incorporated in this recipe will moisturize, rejuvenate and improve the elasticity of the skin.
This whipped body butter may effectively treat stretch marks, as it also contains an essential oil that proves to be good at fading these linear lines.
- Raw shea butter – ½ cup
- Pure cocoa butter – ½ cup
- Almond oil – ½ cup
- Organic coconut oil – ½ cup
- Lavender essential oil – 20 drops
You may increase or decrease the quantity of these ingredients depending on your use.
- Mix all listed ingredients in a bowl except essential oils.
- Melt the ingredients by placing it over heat.
- After cooling add essential oils and mix thoroughly.
- Store in a glass jar and place it in the fridge for an hour.
- Now take and whip with a hand mixer till you obtain fluffy.
- Store and apply the whipped butter over the skin.
Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks
If you thing above recipe is difficult for you to make, then try this simple recipe.
- Take equal amount of shea butter, cocoa butter and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Melt the ingredients by placing them in hot water or double boiler.
- Add few drops of vitamin E oil to the mixture.
- Let it cool down.
- Now wash your skin with mild soap to remove dead cells.
- Pat dry and apply the mask over the skin.
- Leave it to dry naturally.
Cocoa Butter and Olive Oil
- Take required amount of cocoa butter and melt it by placing the jar in hot water or heat it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the mixture while heating.
- Remove from heat and add 5 teaspoons of mineral water to cool it down.
- Apply the mask over the skin in circular motion.
Cocoa Butter Cream for Stretch Marks
If you want to try something from cosmetic industries, then go with Palmer’s cocoa butter formula with Vitamin E. You can read its review here.
Tips to Treat Stretch Marks Using Cocoa Butter
- Drink enough water to hydrate your skin from the inside.
- Always use pure and unrefined cocoa butter.
- Include vitamin rich diet to improve healthy functioning of the skin.
- Kiwi fruits, oranges, papayas, sweet potatoes and strawberries are rich in vitamin C that makes your skin fabulous.
- Almonds, hazel nuts and avocados are rich in vitamin E that promotes healthy skin.
- Omega-3 &6 fatty acids supplement also helps to hydrate the skin and reduce inflammation.
- Avoid processed food, dairy products, fried products, poor quality supplement, artificial sweeteners, heavy gluten, excess caffeine and excess sugar.
- Avoid using cocoa butter and other recipes listed above if you are allergic to any of these ingredients.
- Apply natural moisturizer before going to bed; this will improve your skin’s elasticity.
- Application of cocoa butter during pregnancy may help to prevent stretch marks.
Experts say that with time stretch marks may disappear naturally.
Note: Cocoa butter for stretch marks may or may not lighten stretch marks. But, it can prevent further stretch marks.